Friday, March 9, 2012

Ode to Irish Authors: A St. Patrick's Day Vignette

O Ireland isn't it grand you look--
Like a bride in her rich adornin?
And with all the pent-up love of my heart
I bid you the top o' the mornin! 

~John Locke "The Exile's Return"

I feel the same way about lamps as my kids do about rocks:  you can never collect enough of them.  I put them everywhere, including on the kitchen counter.  While I would have loved to have purchased a new lamp in honor of St. Patty's Day to add to my collection, I simply couldn't justify it after looking at the checkbook.  So back to the drawing board I went.  I decided I needed to put a "spin" on what I already had by making an old lamp look "Irish."  But how?  Red wig?  Celtic knots?  Mug of mead?  I went with the more "temperate" option of paper and ribbon.  


With a smattering of glue and a sprinkle of glitter, I turned some paper and green grosgrain into a Celtic looking medallion.  Three minutes to let the glue gun warm up and I was done.  Easy peasy.



I then flanked my Irish lamp with greenery and some vintage prints in gold frames.  



All that is missing now is a leprechaun and some much-needed gold.
May you have all the lamps your heart desires---including the "Irish" ones!


Linking Up:
Very Merry Vintage Style

4 comments:

  1. What fun. And very cute. Easy peasy, on the checkbook ! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found you from the Linky Party and found your blog adorable. Spent some time looking around and decided to become a follower! Feel free to stop by my place sometime, if you'd like and have a look around. highpointcircle.blogspot.com Happy St. Patty's Day to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just a helpful hint to get more comments, turn off word verification and watch your commenters grow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea for the green ribbon around the shade; looks vintage--pretty vignette for St. Pat's.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...