Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Jane Austen Month, Day 17: Scones, Anyone?







Pin It
 
Now that Valentine's Day is over, and I can take a break from sucking in my waistline, I have decided to spend my day cuddling up to a warm batch of scones.  These scones aren't just any scones.  These are the kind of scones that love you back.  How do I love these scones?  Let me count the ways:  juicy blueberries, rich streusel topping, fresh lemon glaze, and moist bite after moist bite.  If Jane Austen had tasted these, she just might have named Mr. Darcy "Mr. Scone" instead.  I first tasted these at my mother's house in New Mexico.  A good friend of my mother's had stopped by to share these little darlings, and I was there to intercept most of them.  I now realize that Terri must have been hiding a pair of wings and a sparkly wand in her purse because she is undoubtedly the true "Scone Fairy."
Here is her magical recipe:

TERRI BENDER'S 
LEMON BLUEBERRY SCONES

2 ¼ C flour
2 t baking powder
½ t salt
½ t baking soda
4 T sugar
½ C (1 cube) cold butter
¾ C buttermilk
1 egg
¾ C blueberries
grated zest from lemon
 
Streusel Topping:
¼ C oats
¼ C brown sugar
1 T butter, melted
1 T flour
 
Lemon Glaze:
½ C freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 C confectioner’s sugar
1T butter, melted

Preheat oven to 400 F. Sift the dry ingredients of the scone into a food processor. Cut the cold butter into cubes and put into bowl of food processor with the lemon zest. Pulse the mixture until the butter is the size of peas. Pour the mixture into a large bowl, add the blueberries and toss with the flour. Mix together the buttermilk and egg and add to the dry ingredients. Fold mixture together gently, being careful not to break the berries. Press dough into a large circle on a flour surface. Cut out dough with a biscuit cutter. Sprinkle streusel on top of them and place on a cookie sheet covered in parchment paper. Bake scones for 18 -20 min.
 
Mix together the glaze, adding as much powdered sugar as it takes to make the consistency you want. Let scones cool a bit before drizzling with the lemon glaze. Serve while warm and fresh. Scones may be re-warmed in a 350 F. oven for 5 min.

Happy reading, happy eating!

24 comments:

  1. Ohhhhhh...they look so good! I will have to try and make them. Thanks for sharing!I love to eat!
    Blessings My Friend,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be loving these, and hoping they love me back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh I'm drooling. I'm excited to peek around I'm a humongo reader! I'd love you to add this to my What We Wore and Made link party

    marissa
    http://raegunwear.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. yum, I have been looking for a good blue berry scone recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just looking for a good scone recipe online this afternoon and I love things with a blueberry/lemon flavor combo. I have all these ingredients too so I'm totally trying these this weekend! :) YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These sound delicious! Definitely going to have to pin this recipe and try it come fresh blueberry season!! Yum.

    evie @ brown paper packages

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhhh, these sound seriously delicious! I have an idea! How bout you bake up a batch and I'll come over for tea and we can talk Austen together! Thanks for sharing this delicious looking recipe at Shine on Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have pinned this so I can try it later it looks so good...Thanks for linking up @CountryMommaCooks…Have a wonderful Sunday:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Terri, thanks so much for this recipe! I love scones.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Guess what? Your recipe was one of our top 8 most viewed projects in last week's party...so, you're being FEATURED again!! Yay for you! See you tomorrow!

    amy
    oneartmama.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. my mama thinks this is such a special site that she has featured it on one of her pinterest boards where she recommends things to people and will be pinning a lot from here! beautiful blog! http://pinterest.com/jnellyb/people-places-doggies-to-l-o-v-e-oh-my/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Scones are one of my favorite things and you must have read my mind, because when you combine blueberries and lemon (one of my other favorite things) with sweet crumbly biscuits, you've got a winner in my book! Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi there,

    These scones look so delicious I'm giving them a go right now, they are in the oven cooking, I do have a quick question though, using your measurements the dough was very cake like rather than dough like, I'm use to scone mixture to be more dough like (you can roll out and cut) is this how it is supposed to be? Would love to hear your comments on this and anyone else that has tried the recipe, currently mine are in the oven baking and I can't wait to try them

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, the recipe looks scrumptious, son and daughter-in-law are visiting this weekend, giving these a try. How much lemon zest are we talking about. The zest of one lemon? Thanks so much, love your site.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I saw this recipe and just had to make them. The only thing I did different was in stead of cutting out round scones I patted them out into a circle and cut them in traditional wedges to keep from having to re-roll them. These scones are the most amazing scones I've ever had! Thank you so much for sharing the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks. They look amazing. I'm going to try them right away.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These look absolutely amazing! I made some Vegan Blackberry Lemon Scones (http://www.veganosity.com/food/lemon-blackberry-scones/) the other day and they were soooo good! Blueberry is definitely next on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Çok lezzetli ve şirin gözüküyorlar. Ellerinize sağlık

    ReplyDelete
  19. These scones are amazing!! Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I’m assuming t is teaspoon and T is tablespoon?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Throw away any other recipe you have for a blueberry scone. This is the one! Perfection! Seriously!! These scones are very easy to make and are not dry. The flavor is wonderful with just the right amount of everything. I have made these dozens of times and everyone grabs them up. Requests for them come often and I'm happy to oblige. I have not changed anything in this recipe but I have one helpful hint. After you place your scones on a baking sheet, place it in the freezer for about 4-5 minutes. This helps keep them from spreading out during baking. And don't forget the topping. I actually use instant oatmeal, usually maple and brown sugar flavor. It really sets them over the top. This will be the recipe you save and savour! Thank you for this wonderful recipe. Oh, other fruits work well too so experiment. YUMMMMM

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...