Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Jane Austen Month, Day 23: Place Cards Fit for Pemberley

Many months ago, and in a fit of inspiration and deal-hunting, I purchased a package of paper doilies and stack of glass plates at Walmart.  For the life of me, I have no recollection of what I intended to do with them, but I am sure it was brilliant.  (P.S.  Still trying to figure out what to do with the Yoga DVD and the salad spinner that I purchased at the same time.)

Well, today I decided it was time to make use of these two random treasures hiding in the back of my cupboards.  I get weak in the knees for elegant, unique, and easy place cards, so I decided to try my hand at creating some of my own with my paper doilies and clear plates.  My knees are still holding strong, but I admit that they did get a little faint when I saw the end result:  a feminine place card fit for luncheon at Pemberley.


I started by printing off a name on computer paper in my favorite font, and then tracing the name onto the paper doily with a marker.  (I'm sure you could simply freehand the names, but I didn't want to risk flubbing up and wasting a doily.)  

You can find these doilies in the wedding section
You can buy glass plates "a la carte" at almost any Walmart-type store

I then placed the doily on a contrasting plate and put the clear plate on top. 


And there you have an elegant place setting in less than a minute's work.  
And who said impulse buying never paid off?  
Happy Austen week!



21 comments:

  1. How pretty! My goodness, I love the black and white plates. My favorite color combo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty! Found you via Very Merry Vintage Style and I'm definitely adding this to Pinterest. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's such a pretty setting. Great idea. Thanks for sharing at DIYbyDesign.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty! Such a clever idea too :o)
    ~Des

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very neat - I am your newest follower. Hope you can join in my blog hop next Monday and link up this or any other project that might "inspire" people.

    -Pamela, InspiredByFelicity.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. These is lovely! What an inspirational idea. Thanks for stopping by my blog, so I could find yours. I'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How pretty, Erika. You're too funny--now get that yoga dvd and salad spinner out :).

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a cute idea! Would be so cute for a tea party!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are beautiful! What a wonderful idea

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a wonderful idea. I myself love paper doilys and use them often in different things.
    The whole place setting is very elegant.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  11. How cool is that?! Pinning this idea for my next event!! Thanks for inspiring...glad I found you at the link up!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. these look great, i would love it if you could link this up at my linky party on today at http://twiggstudios.blogspot.com/2012/02/hi-every-one-i-hope-you-have-had-great.html
    hope to see you there xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Are you kidding? These are fabulous! Will be featuring this week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow- I think this is a darling idea! Sharing it on FB~ thanks for linking up at Feathered Nest Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. How pretty! I love the way your doily under glass looks! I have paw prints under glass this week -- love to get great thrifty and creative ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great idea for a wedding! I just wrote a post on wedding doilies and included this tutorial!

    http://www.marrymetampabay.com/diy-wedding-place-cards-menus-doily-charger/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...