Thursday, February 16, 2012

Jane Austen Month, Day 18: A Mocktail Soiree, Part 1

We asked our fantastic little sis, Katie, to do a guest post on her most recent "Mocktail Soiree."  It is fitting that she take on the social side of Austen living for us since she is more popular, more fun, and more "well-connected" than either of us.  We're just hoping that one day we can be worthy of attending one of her most esteemed evenings of entertainment . . .
Here's Katie . . .


 
My siblings would tell you it is because I have a yellow personality. I would say that I was born with it. Wherever it came from there is some deep desire that lies within me that gives me an insatiable need to party! I have always found any excuse I could to have friends over. There is nothing I love more than to enjoy a night of entertainment, socializing and good food. It must be the Austenesque ideal that has been ingrained in me since I was a very little girl. I have always dreamed of attending soirees filled with beautiful dances, dresses, and unassuming glances from the dashing suitors across the room. Though my romanticized ideal may never be realized in quite the way I would imagine (I guess I would look a little silly showing up to my friends birthday party in my favorite empire-waisted dress with tight tendrils framing my face), but I have managed to throw a party or two that Jane would have been happy to attend herself.
Being that I don’t drink alcohol, I thought it might be fun to have a ‘mocktail’ with some of my dearest friends. It was a smashing success, starting with the drinks.

I figured out how to create mixed drinks that would still taste great without the alcohol. May I suggest (this site) http://cocktails.about.com/od/mocktailmocktail/Mocktail_Recipes.htm as a great resource? It is full of recipes.  Here are a few favorites:

via
crushed ice
8 mint leaves
3 oz lime juice
1 ½ oz sugar syrup
2 oz club soda
Directions
Fill a pint glass 1/3 full with ice, then add mint leaves. Lightly mash the leaves together with the liquid using a muddle stick or wooden pestle, being careful not to tear the leaves. Fill the glass with more ice, then add club soda. Garnish with mint or lime, and savor!

via
1 14 ½-ounce can pineapple chunks in juice
1 12-oz bag frozen strawberries
2 tablespoons superfine sugar
2 medium limes, juiced
fresh strawberries, optional, for garnish
Directions
In a blender, combine pineapple, frozen strawberries, sugar, and lime juice and puree until smooth. Pour into glasses, garnish with fresh strawberries, if desired, and serve immediately.

via
2 ounces cranberry juice
Splash Rose's sweetened lime juice
Club soda to taste
Lime wedge or twist to garnish
Directions
Fill highball glass with ice. Pour in juices and top with club soda. Alternately, fill cocktail shaker with ice and shake juices until chilled, then pour into martini glass and top with club soda. Add lime garnish.
After I created my shopping list, my husband and I hit the store, getting all the things we needed.


If you are planning your own, the must-haves are: club soda, a variety of syrups, garnishes like olives, cherries, and mint, and some plastic glasses for everyone.


Tomorrow we'll talk about the hors d'oeuvres for your soiree. In the meantime, get mixing!



Linking Up!
French Country Cottage
Common Ground
Stuff and Nonsense
At The Picket Fence 
Shabby Nest
Fingerprints on the Fridge  
One Artsy Mama 
Tatertots and Jello
Lolly Jane Boutique
Family Ever After
Funky Junk Interiors
I Heart Naptime
Flamingo Toes 

2 comments:

  1. these look fun
    tasty
    and oh so chic

    i have a book of non alcoholic drinks
    but these are better

    thanks for sharing at Fridays Unfolded!

    alison

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing at Shine on Friday!! We are so glad you are partying with us!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...