Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Huckleberry Finn: A No-Bake Birthday Cake

". . . They kept this picture over the head of the bed in her room, and every time her birthday come they hung flowers on it. Other times it was hid with a little curtain."  

Mark Twain, Huckleberry Finn Chapter 17


My food pyramid looks different than most.  Where most pyramids are satisfied with grains, fruits, vegetables, proteins, and dairy, MY pyramid has at least two additional tiers---

one for Junior Mints, 

and one for cake.

(I would have made a separate tier for pumpkin pie, but I consider that part of the vegetable group.)

I am a fan of any cake, but especially ones that look like this or taste like this.  Unfortunately, I am fresh out of eggs, butter, and fondant.  Luckily, there is another cake option that doesn't require eggs or butter and can be suited to anyone's food pyramid.


I assembled this "cake" for my friend's birthday.  
(Her food pyramid obviously includes Diet Coke and Almond Joy tiers.)

Here's how to do it . . .

Directions
  1. Cut the top off of a 2 liter soda bottle so that you have a uniform cylinder.
  2. Place your bottle bottom-up on a tray or platter, etc.
  3. Line the bottom of the bottle with soda cans and put some tape on the backs of the cans so they wouldn't shift.
  4. Place tape on the back of miniature candy bars and then line the top of the soda bottle with them.  They should sit nicely on top of your soda cans.
  5. Wrap your "tiers" with ribbon and secure with tape.
  6. Poke a small hole in the top of the soda bottle (which will be the bottom of the soda bottle now that it is upside down) for a candle.
  7. Secure your candle in the hole and "garnish" with ribbon curls to cover up any visible soda bottle.  

There you have a No-Bake Birthday Cake that you can make in less than 10 minutes.  

And if there is anything I like better than eating cake, it is saving time . . .so I can eat more cake.



Sharing at . . .



11 comments:

  1. That's my kind of birthday cake! I can polish off an Almond Joy and a coke any day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is Melissa @ DaisyMaeBelle. Cake does have flour. . . that counts as a grain, right? And, don't forget the eggs. You have to have protein! Butter is definitely dairy. Seriously, this is such a cute idea! I am going to have to find someone to make one of these for!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! So fun and creative! I really want to make this for someone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a creative one!!!! What a fun "CAKE"! I can think of so many kids, teens and young adults who would love this! So clever!!!!
    I'm thinking this would be a great way thing to send my niece who is going to a new college this fall!
    Please join me for TUTORIALS TIPS AND TIDBITS tonight with this creative and fun idea! Link goes live at 8:00. Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a "FANTASTIC IDEA"! LOVE IT! and what a great idea for a GUY(with of course the ingredients being ENDLESS)...Thank you SO MUCH!
    Have a wonderful week,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Birthday cake is a part of the birthday celebrations. Many thanks for your post.I am very interested by reading this..
    Birthday Cakes

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who wouldn't want diet coke as their birthday cake? Haha, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8.  Hi, great post. I found you through the blog hop. Please stop  by and say hi when you get a chance.  .Be sure and check out my new Blog Hop that started. It's Weekly Goals Link Up. It's a great way to stay on track. Have a great day. :) Now following you.  Here's the link for it if you would like to check it out.
    http://lenettacarnes.blogspot.com/2013/01/weekly-goals-linkup-1.html Lenetta

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is good to have most of these articles around to maintain the regular flow of information. Help people that no one could do it later, good work!
    Alfresco Bars in Singapore

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...