Monday, April 23, 2012

Anne of Green Gables April: "He Called Me Carrots" Carrot Torte

"Come here, child, and let me have a look at you. 
 Lawful heart, did any one ever see such freckles? 
And hair as red as carrots!"  
~Mrs. Lynde, Anne of Green Gables

My husband married me for my hard body and my carrot cake . . . (which means he married me for my carrot cake).  As my hubby's birthday is this week, I decided that I would spend some time today finding ways to amp up the carrot cake for his big day.  I've tried versions with pineapple and coconut and nuts, but the birthday boy always says that he likes the original version the best.  Since I couldn't tinker with the recipe, I decided to tinker with the presentation instead.  


The result is a mini version of a 3 layered cake, but I like to think of it as a carrot torte.  It sounds more glamorous that way. The key to creating an individual-sized torte was a magical soup can.  I had heard of people cooking bread in soup cans, so I figured why not try cooking cake in a soup can?


Here is what I did:  After cleaning out a can, I sprayed some Pam in the bottom and dusted it with flour.  Then, I lined the inside edges of the can with parchment paper and let the ends overlap so the cake batter wouldn't touch the can.  I also cut the parchment so that it was just a bit taller than the can itself.  Finally, I added my cake batter to the can, put the can on a cookie sheet, popped it in the oven, and poof!  Out came a perfectly cylindrical, moist, individual-sized carrot cake!

After letting the cake cool, I slid it out of the can, unwrapped the parchment, and sliced the cake into four 3/4" layers.  (I decided to only use three of them for my torte and inhaled the fourth layer in the name of 'quality control'.)  I then filled the layers with a tangy cream cheese frosting and topped them with a strawberry garnish.  I like to think of the result as a head-turning version of the original.  And may I be so bold as to say that Anne might have been a little less irked at being called "carrots" if she had been served one of these darlings . . . 



"He Called Me Carrots" Carrot Torte

2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 eggs
1 cup oil
3 cups shredded carrots

Mix dry and wet ingredients separately.  Add together with the carrots.  Mix until well blended.  Fill approximately 10 soup cans between 1/2 to 2/3 of the way full.  Place cans on a cookie sheet and bake for 25 minutes, or until the center bounces back to the touch.

Tangy Cream Cheese Frosting

8 oz cream cheese
4 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 lb powdered sugar, more or less (this is negotiable depending on how thick you like your frosting)

Mix on high speed until silky smooth.  

{via Pinterest}

24 comments:

  1. Exquisite! I love your vision and courage to try something different. Presentation and the photo makes the cake so life like, I wanna go grab a cup of coffee!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrot cake is one of my favorite kinds of cakes, top three at least. I can't wait to try your recipe! Your photo's are lovely by the way. ~ Jamie P.S. Love the Pinterest saying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a work of art! You may be flooded with marriage proposals now that your talent is known. ~ Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love carrot cake, so I have to try this one!! Liz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool presentation! Please link up to Foodie Friday and visit Facebook Friday

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so good! I love carrot cake and this looks extra special! Thanks for sharing! Have a great weekend
    Rebecca @ heronscrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. AWESOME !!
    Fabulous idea and it turned out beautiful
    I'm pinning it

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous! Just shared on my page and I loved Anne of Green Gables. Can't even guess how many times I read it.

    Do you have a Facebook page? Looked for one but didn't find it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Totally Perfect!!! I'd love to have you share at my party...it JUST opened!!!

    http://www.itsoverflowing.com/2012/04/overflowing-with-creativity-19.html

    XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a great idea! They turned out so cute. And Anne of Green Gables is one of my very favorite books of all time! Read the whole entire series multiple times. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it! Stopping by from SerenityNow. My husband loves German Chocolate Cake but never wants me to make a whole cake b/c he says he'll end up eating it all. ;p I think I may try this! Thanks! <3 Heidi Rew from PartiesforPennies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. German chocolate cake is the first thing that came to my mind also when I saw this; and for the same reason your husband says! lol

      Delete
  12. This is amazing - I have to try it!

    We'd love to see this at our Beautify it Monday link party open now!

    -Four Sisters
    Bringingbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Sisters,

    I just saw that this post was featured over at Serenity Now.

    Congrats!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so fun in the can!! Looks so moist and delicious! Thanks for being a part of our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." Hope to see you again real soon!! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm obsessed with this post!!! Featuring you this weekend! XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for linking up this great recipe @CountryMommaCooks link and great party. I can't wait to try this.... Hope to see you again tomorrow:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations this post is being featured @ CountryMommaCooks Link & Greet party tonight.......sneak-peek on my Facebook, g+, twitter and pinned on pinterest :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Ericka, this is a fab idea! Great presentation for giving cake in a gift basket, also. I found you at Overflowing with creativity party and now a follower. Would love if you'd link up to my Frugal Treasures Tuesday party this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way, thanks for sharing your recipe! Also wanted to mention, I have those exact blue and white saucers! : )

      Delete
  19. Fabulous idea!! Carrot cake is the alltime favorite cake in my family. I plan on trying it this way soon. I have just one question. What size soup can did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this post! What temperature did you bake these at?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...