Thursday, April 5, 2012

Homemade Raspberry Peeps


BeBookBound friends... Sometimes I do something that is in no way inspired by a book. It's rare. But it happens. This is one of those things:

Homemade Raspberry Peeps

4 packets of Knox Gelatine (The little box comes with 4 envelopes, so just one box will do ya)
1/2 C water
1 C of Raspberry puree (or fruit of your choosing), strained to remove seeds.
1 tsp. Vanilla

Whisk gelatin into water, then add to other ingredients above.

1 1/2 C sugar
1 1/4 C Corn Syrup
1/2 C Water


Now throw the sugar, corn syrup, and water in a pan at med high heat til it boils. Put the top on the pan and leave it alone for 2 minutes. This will allow the water to sweat down the sides of the pan, and dissolve any sugar crystals hanging out there, so it doesn't ruin your texture. Now let that puppy boil away til it hits 260 degrees. Throw in the raspberry mixture, and whisk it all together. Transfer to your stand mixer and beat on high for 15 minutes or so. While this is happening, grease and SUPER DUST a 9X13 pan or cookie sheet with powdered sugar. Be generous. Spread marshmallow into prepared pan, dust top with powdered sugar, and let cool for 3 hours, although I swear, the next day is just easier. Flip it out onto the counter and cut out peeps shapes.

(Naked Peeps. Post Cutting, Pre-sugar coat.)

Use a wet washcloth to give them back their stickiness, and dip in sugar. I used melted chocolate on a skewer tip for the eyes and mouth. Now enjoy the sugar coma.


With my leftover marshmallow, I decided to package it up pretty. I used a super simple, but awesome flower tutorial I saw on Pinterest today from  Creature Comforts, and in a matter of minutes I had a flower to top a little gift jar of Raspberry Marshmallows.


This would be a super easy gift, and wonderful with some hot chocolate in wintertime. Just a thought for 8 months in the future :)


Linking Up:



8 comments:

  1. Oh swoon... I LOVE the flower. I must check that out! It's so beautiful and I love that light, petal pink. I also will have to try making my own peeps! They turned out splendidly and very very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, so very, very pretty! ~ Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh those peeps look too delicious! I've made regular marshmallows before, but the addition of raspberry just takes it to a whole new level! Your flowers turned out so beautifully! Do you mind if I share your results on my blog tomorrow? xo Ez

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look too pretty to eat!! hehe

    If you stop by The DIY Dreamer.. I have a linky party. You are welcome to share any of your projects :)
    http://thediydreamer.blogspot.ca/2012/04/from-dream-to-reality-linky-party-10.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so lovely. My kids would adore these. Love your photography too.

    Wishing you a fabulous and safe Easter break
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are adorable!! Found you via picket fence.
    happy easeter.
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! Those flowers are all the rage in blogland right now. Can't wait to make one myself!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...