Sunday, March 4, 2012

Irish Authors: Creating an Irish Farewell

Farewell! but whenever you welcome the hour
That awakens the night-song of mirth in your bower,
Then think of the friend who once welcomed it too,
And forgot his own griefs to be happy with you.

~Thomas Moore

Yesterday I created a little "Irish welcome" for my front door, and while I was at it, I decided to make an "Irish farewell" for the inside of the door.  


I took this hanging cone-shaped basket and filled it with Spanish moss and silk hydrangeas---the same silk hydrangeas that my baby had been chewing on in the store that I felt obligated to buy.  After all, who would want a half-plucked, slightly moist hydrangea anyway?  I guess I would.  Make that three, please.  


I then printed off this adorable little vintage St. Patrick's Day greeting, trimmed it with some gold glitter, and tied it to the front of the basket with green ribbon.  And all of a sudden, soggy hydrangeas in a wicker basket become an easy Irish adieu.  


And just as a side-note, the little girl on the card looks so much like Miriam as a little girl that it makes my heart ache.  I say "ache," not because I am wistful, but because I am jealous.  Whereas Miriam looked like a Victorian doll with her heart-shaped face, wavy locks, and button mouth as a child, I looked a lot like Prairie Dawn from Sesame Street . . . except without the big eyes and the good hair.


While I might have said "farewell" long ago to the dream of being an attractive child, I can at least offer my guests an attractive farewell from my door . . . 

6 comments:

  1. Very pretty! You don't even notice the drool. ~ Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Irish greeting at your front door, it is so charming! What a creative idea! Thanks for the reminder about St. Patrick's Day. It is such a fun holiday. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your Irish welcome and farewell! That basket is way cool :)
    igottacreate.blogspot.com
    "Kiss Me I'm Irish" linky party now open

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simple and very beautiful. I found you on Lil Luna and I am a new follower. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I copied your idea and gave you credit. I fell in love with it and had to have one for my front door. Thanks for the idea, I really appreciate it. I think I'll change the hydrangea colors to match my mood or season :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...