Monday, March 19, 2012

Beatrix Potter's Easter: A Peter Rabbit Mantel

I don't remember when I first became an ardent fan of Beatrix Potter, but I believe it was when I read the words, "And their names were Flopsy, Mopsy, Cotton-tail, and Peter . . ."  When I finished reading the rest of the story of Peter Rabbit, I decided then and there that I wanted to be best friends with Miss Potter and invite her over for a supper of "bread and milk and blackberries."   

In honor of dear Beatrix, I decided to do a Peter Rabbit spring mantel.


I started with a picket fence background, a watering can, a garden sign, and some carrots for "garnish" as a nod to Mr. McGregor's vegetable patch.


I then added this adorable little bunny who seems to be contemplating what to do next.  Poor Peter.  "He had not the least idea which way to go."  


Miriam created this precious little printable (Available for download below).  It is the perfect addition to our little Peter Rabbit story scene.


And what Beatrix Potter-inspired mantel would be complete without a book of her adorable stories?


Regardless of what you did today, whether it be creating a Peter Rabbit mantel or wrangling hot-dog throwing toddlers at Costco (both were highlights of my day), may we all take a cue from Peter Rabbit and make time for a warm cup of chamomile tea before bed.



9 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! I actually caught my breath when I saw your mantel. I also am a huge fan of anything Beatrix Potter! I have been for years. My hutch is covered with books, bookends, I collect the stuffed toys..it's just one of my favorite things. I also have the little movies of books and I think Jeremy Fisher is my all time favorite cartoon of Beatrix potter. It always begins with her in her little English home, and Peter Rabbit on her desk as she writes letters to her nieces and nephews...I love it all. My dream home.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness!! I love, love, love your post from the moments my eyes first set on your title. How come I didn't think of that myself as I too am a fan of Beatrix Potter and her books. I was just thinking yesterday that I was in the mood to see the movie made about her (Miss Potter). I think I'll also run out to the bookstore tomorrow to buy some her books for my 19 month old grandson for Easter. He's already taking a liking to books and while I'm at it, I just may Buy me some decorations for my home all things Flopsy, Mopsy and Peter Cottontail. Thanks the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun mantelscape. That little picket fence is precious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. your fireplace stonework adds such great texture behind that fence and anything with a watering can sucks me right in. beautiful!

    www.NorthernCottage.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun display, I love books--especially children's books. I'm a new follower and would love for you to stop by my brand new blog and follow too, if you can!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, so adorable! I love the old-fashioned children's books. And after watching the movie Miss Potter, I have much more of an appreciation for the art and words of the Peter Rabbit stories. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the sweetest Easter vignette. I plan to shamelessly copy as much of it as I can.

    I must say, I am a fan of only a couple of Potter's books (Peter Rabbit is one of them.), but I adore those two. Like Kerri (above post), I have always thought her life to be inspiring. Yet another woman whose struggles helped us all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved reading all the Beatrix Potter books to my children, so I had to check out your mantel when I saw your photo at The Lettered Cottage. Coincidentally, I am actually having a cup of camomile tea! Your mantel is so very sweet. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is fantastic! When I hovered over the link and saw "bebookbound" I knew I had to click over because I was so intrigued. I was a Beatrix Potter reader when I was little and love all the elements you have used for your homage. I'm off to explore your blog - with a name like that it has to be something I'll love!

    Claire @ alittlesomethinginthemeantime.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...