Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Beatrix Potter's Easter: A Beatrix Potter Baby Nursery

Romance is not my strong suit:  I prefer lamp light over candle light, I like showers over bubble baths, and I would rather gargle shards of glass than have someone sing to me.  Perhaps my pragmatism stifles my romantic sensibilities.  But all that changes when there is a baby on the way.  Somehow having a bun in the oven turns me into the most fanciful of females . . .
and I take it all out on the nursery.  


For our last baby, I decided to do a Beatrix Potter nursery.  Because the baby's gender was going to be a surprise, I went with the calm, earthy, gender-neutral tones of Beatrix's pictures:  sage greens, ochres, creams, and rusts.  Much to my hormonal dismay, I found myself having to wrangle with the sewing machine to create slipcovers, bumper pads, valances, draperies, and bedskirts that fit in the color scheme because apparently no one on God's green earth sells Victorian baby lore in said color scheme without having to remortgage your home.




 I framed Beatrix Potter prints for the walls and hung a special few by ribbon and medallions from the moulding.




Flora and fauna (especially bunnies) punctuate the room in an homage to Peter Rabbit and "everything spring."



I found this precious needlepoint of Peter Rabbit on Ebay for pennies and decided to frame it to save myself further sewing drama.


As the feature piece of the room, I refinished a $50 icky-brown armoire from the classifieds to fit our vintage color scheme.  I then had my uber-talented artist-mother pick out her favorite characters from Beatrix Potter's stories and paint them on the doors.  Her favorite is Tom Kitten who has split his trousers.




As a finishing touch to the nursery, I put a phrase from a traditional Victorian lullaby on the wall in vinyl.

I love that every time I open the door to my nursery I feel as though I've stepped into the reminiscent charm of one of Beatrix Potter's books.  Now if that isn't romantic, I don't know what is.


Linking Up To
Skip to My Lou
Sew Much Ado- The 36th Avenue - Shabby Creek Cottage - House of Hepworths - The Shabby Nest - Chic on a Shoestring DecoratingMiss Mustard Seed - Family Ever After - Tatertots and Jello - Lolly Jane Boutique - Funky Junk Interiors - Be Different Act Normal - Blue Cricket Design - Embracing Change - French Country Cottage- DearLillie

23 comments:

  1. I could not love that room more how beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great info! I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have.κουνια μωρου

      Delete
  2. OH.MY. WORD. If I were having another baby, this is what I would love to do!! WOW!! I would want to keep it as my room forever!! Super job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one of the dearest nurseries I have even seen. That Grandma painted the figures on the wardrobe make it even more special! I'm pinning this as inspiration for all the "moms to be". ~ Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a completely enchanting room for people of all ages!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That nursery is darling beyond words! I am incredibly impressed with how professional the whole room looks. Truly inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just perfect. When my daughter was little she had a Beatrix Potter room ~,this makes me happy when I look at it,and yours looks so much better than what mine did .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That is phenomenal. I adore it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore Beatrix Potter, this nursery is so fun, familiar, and friendly.
    Kristy @ 4 the love of WOOD

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a gorgeous nursery! WOW!
    I would love if you came by my Creative Inspirations party to link it up! I would love to see you there!
    Stacey of Embracing Change
    http://staceyembracingchange.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your nursery! I've been saving Beatrix Potter items to make a nursery for my grand-babies.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That room is so beautiful, But you knew that, you are so talented I wish I had that kind of gift. I am following your wonderful blog on Linky and GFC. I would like you to come over to my blog and Join in the Linky followers blog hop @ http://www.arosiesweethome.com/
    It is a lot of fun and then come back tonight to share your beautiful room at my Sunday Round up Party.
    I cant wait to see you there
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful nursery! I love every bit of it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely beautiful!! I live Beatrix Potter. This turned out so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This nursery is beautiful in every detail! I'd love it if you'd share this at my Show & Tell party @ the Delectable Home. New party starts Monday morning.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful, Erika! Love the color scheme you went with and how soft it looks. Your Mom did a great job on the armoire ~ I love the characters added to the doors. The framed prints look great, too. I love the Beatrix Potter theme; my Mom gave me her Beatrix Potter figurines that she's had for years. I bought her a few of those as Mother's Day gifts! I redid a little shelf piece I found at the antique mart to display them all together and I love seeing them on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
  16. AMAZING nursery!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The perfect nursery! I love Beatrix Potter! We've been reading some of her stories to Lillie lately!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sigh.....it's SO very lovely!

    Many Blessings,
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really like your inspirational outlook - you have motivated me in a deep and sincere way.


    beatrix potter

    ReplyDelete
  20. This nursery is fantastic! And the armorie...so cute!
    Congratulations!
    Besos, Silvina

    ReplyDelete
  21. Where did you find the vinyl lettering for the wall?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...