Saturday, July 21, 2012

A Midsummer Night's Dream: A Magical Home Tour

SCENE I. A wood near Athens.

PUCK: How now, spirit! whither wander you?
FAIRY:  Over hill, over dale,
Thorough bush, thorough brier,
Over park, over pale,
Thorough flood, thorough fire,
I do wander everywhere,
Swifter than the moon's sphere;
And I serve the fairy queen,
To dew her orbs upon the green.
The cowslips tall her pensioners be:
In their gold coats spots you see;
Those be rubies, fairy favours,
In those freckles live their savours:
I must go seek some dewdrops here
And hang a pearl in every cowslip's ear.
Farewell, thou lob of spirits; I'll be gone:
Our queen and all our elves come here anon.

Sometimes first impressions are exactly right.  The first time I met Jane, she was standing under an enchanting canopy of vines and leaves with the trickling of water in the distance.  We were in her backyard and I felt as though I had slipped through the rabbit hole into a wooded land of pixies and sprites.  I knew nothing of Jane at the time, and yet her surroundings spoke volumes.  Encircled by flora and fauna, Jane reminded me of a modern-day Titania, Queen of the Fairies.

Jane is now one of my dear friends and I treasure her organic and magical sensibility.  I see it in her clothing, her music, and especially in her home.  She was kind enough to let me take pictures for our "Midsummer Night's Dream" series so you could delight with me in the wistful wonder of her enchanting house.

The magic begins on the front porch with this gorgeous door.  Jane had the trees hand-carved on both the inside and the outside of the door.  The ivy couldn't be a more perfect accompaniment to the scene.


The vines in the sidelight and the leave motifs of the light switches carry the theme of nature into the entry. Fairy-like angels greet you from the living room walls as you enter the home. 



A nest nestles in a sunny corner of the living room's transom window.

The showpiece of the main floor is the tree on the stairway wall.  
It looks like an illustration straight out of a fairytale.



Jane preserves the romance of childhood in this foyer niche with a christening gown.  Her grandfather wore it when he was blessed and all of her children have worn it since on their blessing days.  The dragonfly hooks couldn't be more perfect for this vintage vignette.


Jane recently added these relief panels of birds and branches to her kitchen cupboards.  Every time I stand in her kitchen, I feel as though I am standing in the middle of an enchanted forest. 




Even the kitchen chandelier has a woodsy feel to it with the addition of these glass leaves.


I love the surprise of the tree branch curtain rod over the kitchen door . . .


and the purple thistle as a kitchen table centerpiece.


Tree branches embellish the family room mantel.  The stunning wooden crests over the fireplace hail from her childhood home.


Jane has turned her guest bathroom into a woodland paradise with the organic wall art and fixtures.




After seeing Jane's magical abode, it is no wonder that books like these call this wonderland "home."


Every time I leave Jane's home, I come away wishing I were more like her---not only svelte and smart like her (because that would be nice as well), but sensitive and sentimental like her, too. 

I'm just glad to know that somewhere nearby there is a home where fairies and I are both welcome to pay a visit.

Linking up:
Show and Tell Saturday
Sundae Scoop
Overflowing with Creativity
No Minimalist Here
A Delightsome Life
Common Ground
2805 
The Charm of Home

9 comments:

  1. Okay, I love pretty much.. EVERYTHING in there. But seriously, where do I get me some crystal leaves!?!?!? I need!!! :) So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The same place you get everything, Miriam--Taipan. (Actually, I guess everything one might need is either at Taipan or Cost-co). ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Taipan- I can't tell you how much I need one of those. And I agree: if you could connect a Taipan to a Costco, I would move in and never leave.

      Delete
  3. This is Melissa @ Daisy Mae Belle. LOVE that front door! Totally beautiful! I also love how she hung leaves from the chandelier!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that front door, and those cupboard doors are so charming!

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a magical home for sure! I can never get enough images of trees and rivers but she has taken forest themes to a whole new level. ~ Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's sweet that you have a friend with a "magical" place you can visit. Thanks for sharing it with us.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel like I just entered fairy-tale land! What a lovely place to be! Thank you for sharing at Potpourri Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so loveeee that front door, right up my alley.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Michele

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...