Monday, July 30, 2012

A Midsummer Night's Dream: Reading Nooks

LYSANDER:  Reason becomes the marshal to my will
And leads me to your eyes, where I o'erlook
Love's stories written in love's richest book.

Midsummer Night's Dream, Act II Scene 2

With a blog name like "Be Book Bound," it should come as no surprise that Miriam and I like to read.  I started reading on my mother's lap with a "Dick and Jane" book---not classic literature by any means, but I remember liking Jane's hair, and that was good enough for me.  Miriam probably started reading in the womb, because she's smart like that.

It has been decades since those first books, and I still haven't been able to get my hair to look as good as Jane's.  But I keep reading, in spite of it all.  I have 11 books on my nightstand right now that are all partially finished.  The problem is, when I climb in bed and choose a book from the stack, I feel like I'm choosing between children.  

It can't be done.  

(That is, unless you have a child like mine, today, who bit another toddler at church only minutes after taking off his shoes and darting out of our church pew toward freedom.  
Then it's not so hard to choose.)  

So, as any good mother would, I divide my time equally amongst my darlings.  (Although, I must say, I'm loving a certain book right now over the others, but I don't dare let on . . . :)

The only thing that could make me love books any more would be to have a nook of my own to read them in.  In the spirit of midsummer dreaming, I thought I'd share with you some of my favorite and most magical "book nook" finds . . .

 Any good reading nook needs lovely light to read by, whether spilling from sunny windows or sparkling chandeliers, or both . . .

{via Downsize My Space}

{via Southern Living}
{via Apartment Therapy}





I love nooks that use conventional space in unconventional ways, like the hollow beneath the stairs . . .

{via Knotting Hill Interiors}
 a bedroom closet . . .

{via Pretty Handy Girl}
 a great room alcove . . .

{via Be Nonsensical}
 or the hall cupboard.

{via Thrifty Decor Chick}
Soft fabrics and cozy pillows are a must . . .

{via A Little Chippy}

{via House Beautiful}

 
{via Home-Designing}
Regardless of the space you use, it should inspire the imagination and the spirit . . .

{via Desire to Inspire}

{via Pinterest}

{via Aris Whittier}

Which nook did you like best?  

Better yet, what are YOU currently reading?  We'd love to hear what's in your book stack!

Many magical reads in magical nooks to you all . . .

15 comments:

  1. Love the inspirational reading nooks! Nothing better than having a sacred place to read. Thank you for sharing. Visiting from My Uncommon. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/07/make-it-pretty-monday-week-8.html Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I love reading nooks! I always wanted to have one, but somehow I just settle for reading while nursing, or in bed, or locked away from children in my room, or occasionally I even try to read while watching them play. Of course that doesn't work:)

    I'm knee-deep in Age of Miracles and Seating Arrangements. Today's post on my blog is even about my summer reading list (alternatives to Fifty Shades of Grey :)

    Jessica
    stayathomeista.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorites are the last one and the one under the stairs! Very cozy. Right now I'm about to start "Wild" by Cheryl Strayed. My daughter read it and loved it. I recently reread "The House of Mirth" by Edith Wharton, and it was so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for visiting me and leaving such a sweet note. Its a pleasure meeting you! I love all the reading nooks you showed us. Such a great way to use a small space.
    You asked about the curtains in my bedroom they are pre-mades from JC Penneys. I was going to make them when I found these and these were just what I had been looking for. I cut down the ones to fit into the window where my tea cups are. The bench at the foot of the bed is a vintage piano bench filled with straw.I found it at an antique store in town it had all ready been reupholstered. I have become your newest follower :)
    Have a sweet day, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful post. I think I like the little closet nook. It's so small and pretty and I could totally see my H in there pretending to read his books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You and me both! 'm dreaming of a reading nook.....
    My curretrn read {with the kids} Theodore Boone, kid lawyer! by John Grisham It's GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I would love to have a book nook! Just a pretty comfy place to curl up and shut out the real world. You have offered some spectacular choices! I'm dreaming right along with you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful post. My favorite is the all white bed in the attic. I love all the lights. It's a place I could read and dream at the same time. Love it!


    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love cozy little nooks. So many great ideas!
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are dreamiest of nooks! Thanks for sharing the inspiration at Potpourri Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is Melissa @ Daisy Mae Belle. My favorite series is the Mitford Series by Jan Karan. I re-read them every couple of years. I also love anything Amish, especially by Beverly Lewis. One of my best friends just wrote a book and it is going to be published this year! I will get a copy to you when they are ready! I have already read it, and it is GREAT! My beach house is going to have a reading nook overlooking the ocean. . .

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm with you. I'd SO love a book nook!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love, love all of the nooks.
    All so comfy and cozy.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those are some wonderful reading nooks. I wish I had a place for one, but my down feather chair works just as good.
    Visiting from Potpourri Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love these nooks which invite one to curl up with a good book. But Book Maven you could win a trip to Paris and join us on a night treasure hunt at the Louvre. http://www.sohopress.com/tickettopari/2135/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...