Wednesday, December 28, 2011

For the coming month, we are going to highlight any books that seem "New Years-ey" to us. Do you like that term? I do.

So do you know how most people watched "Supersize Me" and got angry and grossed out and appalled at the amazing McDonald's food machine?

Well, I felt those things too. However, the feeling of "I want a McD's Hashbrown" was just stronger.




This book was a different experience: 

I NEVER NEVER NEVER recommend diet books to ANYONE. I have zero interest in them. But Michael Pollan's "In Defense of Food; An Eater's Manifesto," is not a 'diet' book. It is a sensible look at what we eat, and how we can improve it. You will find yourself being fascinated by the origins of margarine. Seriously. And although I can blame Mr. Pollan for the inordinate amount of guilt I felt when I chucked a box of Imperial into my cart this year (Butter just wasn't in the August budget), I love his writing too much to give it up. And as a general rule, it's not a book that will make you feel guilty- it just helps you to understand why simple, REAL food is best for you and your family. Now I just need to figure out how to make simple, REAL food cupcakes taste as good as these ones...

1 comment:

  1. I might have to read this one. I was just dropping by to wish you a Happy New Year and thank you for visiting my place and your special comments. I look forward to engaging more with you in 2012. Cheers SpecialK XoXo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...