Saturday, February 25, 2012

Jane Austen Month, Day 27: Home Interiors

As a follow-up to Miriam's post yesterday on Austen exteriors, I thought it would be fun to take you on a tour of some Austen interiors---those that have been used in film, and those that I think Jane herself might like if she were setting up house today.

We begin our tour with some of our favorite Austen interiors in film . . .

{Via}

Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy bow to each other in the damasked ballroom at Mr. Bingley's Netherfield Hall 

{Via}

Elizabeth and her aunt and uncle tour Pemberley where the housekeeper shows them sketches of Wickham and Darcy.  My heart skips a beat every time I look at that sunny yellow against the white moldings.

{Via}

The Great Hall of Pemberley where Elizabeth sees Mr. Darcy's portrait hanging on the wall, lucky girl.

{Via}

The drawing room at Pemberley where Elizabeth rescues Georgiana from an uncomfortable moment and she gets this "look" in return . . .

{Via}

Sigh.  Just had to slip this one in.

{Via}

The sun-bleached blues of the Bennet's parlor get me every time.  Elegant, earthy and homey, all in one.

{Via}
Elizabeth sits on edge in Netherfield on a scrumptious settee in the golden glow of the drawing room.

{Via}

I love that Mr. Bennet's library is as unique and perfectly quirky as he is.



{Via}

I've always found it ironic that the Dashwood's Barton "Cottage" is twice the size of my home.  Does that mean I live in a shed?

{Via}
This hallway shot of Norland stops me in its tracks with its four beautiful rooms in one.


But as much as I delight in the Regency decor of Jane Austen films, I have found several "prospects" that I believe Jane would be very glad to visit.  I know I would.

For example, I am quite confident that Jane would find the elegant, feminine, and timeless qualities of these living rooms much to her taste.

{Via}
{Via}

I can only imagine that she would be just as fond of these "dreamy" bed chambers as I am.






{Via}

{Via}


Should Jane like to indulge her domestic side and "take a turn about" the kitchen, she might find these rooms refreshing.

{Via}
{Via}

And should Jane be a movie buff herself, perhaps she would be enamored with these TV and film interiors---

The cozy charm of the Dragonfly Inn on "Gilmore Girls" . . .

{Via}

The comfort and restraint of the living room in "Father of the Bride" . . .

{Via}

The simple elegance of the sitting room in "Life As We Know It" . . .

{Via}

The traditional warmth of the stairway in "Home Alone" . . .

{Via}
The eclectic femininity of Kathleen Kelly's apartment in "You've Got Mail" . . .

{Via}

Or the bookish charm of this reading nook in "Something's Gotta Give" . . .
 
{Via}

Regardless of the space, if it is inspired by Jane, or if it simply inspires her memory, it is always a beautiful one.  May your surroundings be very "Jane" this week . . .

6 comments:

  1. Excellent post. Love each of those films, but have to say my favs are the Jane Austen's....love the books, love the movies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the reasons I can watch period films over and over is the lovely settings. And if, "A little cottage is always snug", my home must be positively tight! ~ Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! These are wonderfully inspiring pictures, especially the Jane Austen sets.. the subtle hues with gold accents... love it! I love Jane Austen, her novels, the movie... I love Regency England:)Thanks for stopping by and leaving me such a sweet comment on my Winter Whites.Happy Sunday to you!~Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always LOVED the house in Father of the Bride. It's so homey.
    Thanks for sharing all the great shots of the interiors we have come to know and love from our Austen movies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are beautiful pictures. Perhaps the one of Colin Firth most of all. ;) I also love the bedroom with the brick wall. For some reason the contrast of textures and colors feels so comforting to me. The chandelier is great too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...