Monday, May 21, 2012

Anne of Green Gables: Puffed Sleeves

Anne was standing in the gable room, looking solemnly at three new dresses spread out on the bed. . . . [Marilla] had made them up herself, and they were all made alike--plain skirts fulled tightly to plain waists, with sleeves as plain as waist and skirt and tight as sleeves could be.
"I'll imagine that I like them," said Anne soberly.
"I don't want you to imagine it," said Marilla, offended. 
"Oh, I can see you don't like the dresses! 
What is the matter with them? Aren't they neat and clean and new?"
"Yes."
"Then why don't you like them?"
"They're--they're not--pretty," said Anne reluctantly. . . . "Oh, I AM grateful," protested Anne. "But I'd be ever so much gratefuller if--if you'd made just one of them with puffed sleeves. Puffed sleeves are so fashionable now. 
It would give me such a thrill, Marilla, just to wear a dress with puffed sleeves."
~ Lucy Maud Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables


I've never been much of a "fashionista," unless you consider my wearing yoga pants and crocs to Walmart today as a "high fashion" statement.  I come by it honestly, though.  My mother hoodwinked me into wearing all sorts of faux pas while growing up by saying that "all the models were wearing that look on the runways in Paris."  And she was right.  All the models were wearing my my "look" on the runways in Paris . . . just 20 years before I did.  As a result, I entered junior high in the 80s as the only 12 year-old who owned a pair of purple "clam diggers." I like to refer them more accurately as my "social suicide slacks".  Thank heaven for mothers like mine and Marilla Cuthbert who always try to do things in our best interests.  But with all due respect, dear mothers, sometimes we'd just like to leave the house in puffed sleeves or in pants that reach our ankles once in a while.

In honor of dear Anne and her love of puffed sleeves, 
I've gathered a few pictures with "poofs" that I think would make the darling girl swoon, 
or change her mind about puffed sleeves altogether.  You decide.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 May all your fashion dreams come true, whatever they may be . . .  Happy Monday!

6 comments:

  1. I'm laughing so hard at this post! My mom did the same thing to me. She NEVER bought the right thing and was so hurt if I didn't like it that I wore it and said nothing. The hippie years were the only thing that saved me socially! ~ Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can almost get tears in my eyes right now thinking about Anne thanking Matthew for the puffs! Oh no, wait. They ARE there now! I'm going to have so much fun exploring your blog! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. I think almost every woman can relate to the fashion horrors our Mothers put us through. But somehow we survive, and live to subject the next generation.LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so great! Some of those are actually quite pretty!
    I remember being all excited about wearing my hair up in a bun when I turned 16, because I was sure it would make me look all grown up and the boys would be sure to notice. It was 1994--I don't think it quite had the effect I hoped for :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I think of puff sleeves, I think of those 80's TV sitcoms, "Designing Women" or "Dynasty". Either way, I love Anne and wanna go home and watch it now. Thanks for sharing <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. i can vividly recall
    testing new dresses
    whilst shopping with my mum

    if they twirled out
    when i spun around
    they were keepers

    thanks for sharing
    some gorgeous puffs!

    alison

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...