Tuesday, July 2, 2013

From the Design Book: Updated Farmhouse Home Tour

“There were no clouds, the sun was going down in a limpid, gold-washed sky. Just as the lower edge of the red disk rested on the high fields against the horizon, a great black figure suddenly appeared on the face of the sun. We sprang to our feet, straining our eyes toward it. In a moment we realized what it was. On some upland farm, a plough had been left standing in the field. The sun was sinking just behind it. Magnified across the distance by the horizontal light, it stood out against the sun, was exactly contained within the circle of the disk; the handles, the tongue, the share—black against the molten red. There it was, heroic in size, a picture writing on the sun.” 

~My Antonia by Willa Cather, Chapter 14

What is it about a farm that has such a hold on me?  The idea of living off the land seems incredibly romantic to me---that is, until I actually HAVE to live off of the land and do things like touch scary things like animals and dirt.  But when I read My Antonia, I sigh wistfully as I imagine myself in flaxen braids and calico cottons, standing in a wheat field at dusk.  It's bizarre, and probably hormone related.  All I know is that reading the passage above makes me feel like tying on an apron, gathering some eggs, and bottling something. 

The problem is, I don't live on a farm.  I live in a quiet neighborhood on a fraction of an acre.  I grow children, not livestock (although by the looks of their rooms today, the difference between the species is negligible.)  But luckily for me, I came across this little gem of a "farmhouse" in the local home parade and could imagine that it was mine for 20 minutes or so.

The home is an updated spin on the classic farmhouse.  Set in a field against a lake, this house has all the charm of a turn-of-the-century homestead with all the amenities of modern living.

I immediately fell in love with the pendant lights along the porch and the beautiful brick steps.



To the left of the front door is this lovely entry bench.


The family room is light and bright and comfortable with wood floors, a two-way fireplace, and different textured fabrics.


The breakfast nook is just off the family room and kitchen in this windowed corner.  The dark wood table looks perfectly snug against an upholstered bench and farmhouse chairs.


This room was one of my favorites in the house.  This dining room is adjacent to the breakfast nook, but it is completely enclosed.  The wall of windows opens up to provide open-deck dining in the summertime.  And the fireplace is actually the backside of the fireplace in the family room.  Such a great way to get more bang from your fireplace buck!


The bedrooms were just as charming.  I loved this nautical bedroom with its accompanying pirate-themed bathroom.  Ahoy, matey!


If you look closely, this bathroom not only has porthole mirrors, but wallpaper with little skulls and crossbones.  Adorable!


The girls' bedrooms were just as appealing as the boys' rooms.  I especially liked the cheery color scheme of this room.

Down the hall there was a cozy playroom that was ready and waiting for the kids and all of their toys.


The family room packed a comfortable punch with its orange leather chair and gray tweed couch.


Mom and Dad have a workspace of their own with this office.


And when the rigors of life just get to be too much, Mom and Dad can escape to this lovely bathroom.  I wish I could have fit the whole bathroom into my lens, but my favorite part was the reading rack in the tub. 


I realize that this home is a far cry from the abodes in My Antonia; it has nothing of the the rough-hewn, rustic living of the pioneer prairie.  But for city folk like me, it's at least a step in the right (romantic) direction.

Sharing at . . .

10 comments:

  1. What an amazing home! Thanks for sharing such beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, what a fabulous house. I could live there in a heartbeat. Thanks for the tour. I would love for you to link up to my Inspire Me party that is ongoing - http://www.astrollthrulife.net/2013/07/171st-inspire-me-tuesday.html Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd move today.
    Oh gorgeous and soothing space. Home!
    Thank you for sharing,
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post "Updated Farmhouse Home Tour" is a post with beautiful pictures, point words, useful information! Sincerely, yours sell wedding dresses

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing home with beautiful views!!...

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful home tour Erika. I swear y'all always find the best things to share. Thanx for joining THT! Hope your week is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely gorgeous! Thanks so much for sharing this with us. I have this thing for farmhouses as well. And I got such a kick out of your comment about growing kids not livestock, etc. LOL! Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for reminding me of my Antonia and Willa Cather. I love herbooks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...