Monday, September 10, 2012

Fall Poetry: An Autumn Tea

Autumn Tea Time

The late light falls across the floor,
Turned amber from a yellow tree,
And there are yellow cups for four,
And lemon for the tea.

The maples, with a million flames,
Have lit the golden afternoon,
An ambient radiance that shames
The ineffective moon....

Till dull and smoky greys return,
Quenching the street with chills and damps--
Leaving these asters where they burn,
Mellow like evening lamps.

~ David Morton (1886-1957)

Asking for permission has never been my strong suit.  For example, when I was 12 I decided I was fully capable of trimming my 5-year-old sister Katie's "bowl cut".  I mean, how hard could a "bowl" haircut be?  I simply grabbed a bowl from the kitchen, plunked it on her head, and began cutting around it.  The biggest problem was that I chose the wrong size of bowl.  

What I SHOULD have put on her head was a large mixing bowl.  

I used was a smallish cereal-sized bowl.  

Instead of looking like Dorothy Hamill, my poor little sister emerged from under the bowl looking more like Friar Tuck.

My ambition is my greatest strength and my greatest weakness, which is why I breathe a sigh a relief when September comes around. 

September is full permission---whether I need it or not---to move sweaters to the front of the closet, to make pumpkin cupcakes with maple frosting, and fill the house with the smells of harvest time.  September is when my wound-up soul finally catches its breath from summer and takes a moment to relax.

I couldn't think of a more fitting way to welcome September than to take a leisurely trip downtown with my sister and sister-in-law to the 1930s-inspired Beehive Tearoom.

Welcome.


The tea room has a fun and vibrant cafe area at the front of the shop for passersby looking for a quick snack, and more comfy, secluded spots in the back for those looking to enjoy an afternoon tea.  The mural on the wall coupled with these vintage lamps makes my heart swoon.


Even the tea settings were a unique blend of English tradition, Asian color, and vintage Hollywood elegance.


We began our afternoon with an assortment of tea sandwiches . . .


 followed by scones with jam and clotted cream . . .

 
and we finished the day with a dessert of marzipan petit-fours and fresh raspberries with cream.


And of course, we helped ourselves to cup after cup of hazelnut hot chocolate, Ginger-Lime Rooibos, and Very Berry tisanes. 




Come to think of it, I should have invited my now-all-grown-up-sister Katie to fly into town for a cuppa.

After all, I probably owe her at least a scone or two considering what I did to her hair all those years ago.  

Then again, maybe I'll channel the beautician in me and sit her down for a "hairdo do-over" for old time's sake . . .
With her permission this time, of course.

3 comments:

  1. eh em.... After years of pain and torment over my horrible haircut, I believe that you do indeed owe me a girls day out. Okay, truth be told, I am sitting here drooling over it all wishing I was there. Thanks for letting me feel like I was there in spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! My sister never cut my hair (thank the Lord!) but we have lots of other "moments" I'm sure we would both rather forget! That was a gorgeous tearoom and it sounds like you had the best possible time you could have without your other sister there. Judging from the comment above it sounds like she forgave you! :-)
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luckily my girls never gave one another haircuts when they were younger! Only my middle child ever cut her hair. One big plug right off the side. Luckily, her hair was so thick, you could not tell. She said that she wanted to cut hair when she grew up, so she was practicing. I sure would love to have tea at a place like that! I think I would have had seconds on those scones! Life to the full, Melissa @ DaisyMaeBelle

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...