Saturday, November 19, 2011

From the Book Nook: A Christmas Carol

    I have endeavoured in this Ghostly little book, to raise the Ghost of an Idea, which shall not put my readers out of humour with themselves, with each other, with the season, or with me.  May it haunt their houses pleasantly, and no one wish to lay it. 
    Their faithful Friend and Servant, C. D. December, 1843.
     
I know that Erika and I are not the only girls in the world who had the George C. Scott version of "A Christmas Carol" memorized as children. It's a miracle that old VHS lasted as long as it did. This is mostly due to Erika's deep, deep love of all things Christmas. She would wait for July, because then she could justify playing holiday tunes on the piano under the guise of "Christmas in July." She has requested that we all sing Christmas songs at her funeral. And a couple of years ago, her beautifully decorated home was part of a Christmas home tour as the "Dickens home." As you can see, this theme runs deep in our family, so how could we possibly skip over this literary gem? Here's my recommendation for December:


The writing is beautiful, the characters are vibrant, and the message is timeless. Extra bonus: It's a perfect book club selection for the busy month of December because it is short. Even if you don't share this with a book group this season, read it for yourself. It will put you in the Christmas spirit almost immediately, I promise. By the end, you will exclaim along with Ebenezer, "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...